If you’re new here, you may want to start by subscribing to the RSS feed, or grab your free copy of “Creating a Kick Butt Social Marketing Plan”. (Just put your name and email address in the big box just above.)
You’ll also receive somewhat regular or perhaps irregular emails with marketing tips, geek humor, information, and free goodies that you just can’t live without. Well, you can live without them, but life just won’t be as fun! Of course, if you just hate what I send you, you can unsubscribe at any time. No hard feelings.
<sarcasm>Sadly, the “How to Succeed in Business Handbook” is out of print.</sarcasm>
But I will do my best to give you real, relevant marketing help, so you can get the most out of the effort you put into your business. Seriously, there’s a lot of junk out there, bad advise and get rich quick schemes. That’s not the way I roll.
Here’s my (first) nickel worth of free advise.
If you want your business to succeed online, it’s going to take work. Period.
It’s going to take time. Period.
It’s going to take money. Period.
Those three elements will get you there faster than anything.
Take time each day to work ON your business, not just in it. Invest an hour a day learning new skills, there’s always something new to learn. Stay flexible, the web changes at light speed and what worked yesterday may not work today.
You’re going to fail. That’s how you learn. I’ve failed more times than I can count, but the successes always outweigh the failures. The faster you fail, the faster you succeed. Not trying to be a poison pill here, just want you prepared. You can thank me later.
Don’t Quit Your Day Job.
If you’re a new Citizen on The Planet (Translation: if you are new to marketing on the web), it’s extremely unlikely that you’ll be able to support yourself and your family right off the bat. It does happen, but it’s the exception rather than the rule.
If you do crush it right away, tell me how you did it. In fact, write a guest post for the other Citizens and help them out too.
I may occasionally drop the F-bomb or some other adult language. If you’re sensitive to this, maybe this site isn’t for you. But if you can hang with that, it will be worth it.
Rules of The Planet
- I do care about you. If you have questions, I’ll try to answer them, but this is not a help desk. You can always hire me. I’m in business to make money, just like you are.
- Leave your comments and feedback. If you have an idea for a blog post, let me know.
- Pay it forward. If you think there was some value to what I’ve written, share it with your friends and colleagues. That would be cool.
- Haters need not apply for Citizenship. If you don’t have something positive to contribute, please don’t. If you have some insights that I don’t have, give it up for your fellow Citizens.
- Have fun. Believe me, you make more money when you’re having fun. (They never taught me that in college.)